Formed in 2014, the Colonial Revolution Youth Mountain Bike Team is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization for co-ed athletes ages 9-18 living primarily on the Virginia Peninsula and surrounding localities, including the counties of Charles City, James City, New Kent, and York, and the independent cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg. Colonial Revolution is a member of the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA).
The team exists to provide student-athletes of all riding levels the guidance to ride safely in an inclusive, supportive environment, to develop an appreciation of our outdoor spaces, to achieve personal and competitive goals, and to develop the skills to maintain a healthy lifelong fitness all while building strong bodies, strong minds, and strong character.
We have 2 training seasons. The Spring Season runs from approximately March 1st – June 1st and the Summer/Fall Season runs from July 1st – November 1st.
New Member Enrollment
New member enrollment is before each spring/fall season in February or June, as space allows. Your student-athlete may be placed on a waiting list until the roster of returning members is decided.
Colonial Revolution relies upon a 100% volunteer corps of coaches. Like most youth sports leagues, we draw our coaches from the parent pool and the local community. Most are not expert-level cyclists or racers, rather they draw from a wide range of professional & personal expertise to make the the team whole. Colonial Revolution coaches are trained & vetted with first aid/CPR, background checks, and abuse awareness.
We respond to all inquiries and the only criteria for membership is a positive attitude and a thirst for adventure. Please consider the following and provide as much information as possible when making an inquiry to our program:
- Name, gender, age, and birthdate of student-athlete. (Note: youth age 8 may join in the preceding summer/fall season if they will be age 9 by the beginning of our spring season, March 1st.)
- Experience on a road or mountain bike? Please state “none”, “some”, or “considerable.” Some experience does not have to be with a team, but rather it can be time spent with family on trails. If so, how long and how confident? (Note: no experience necessary) Your answers will help us better gauge which ability group your athlete may be best suited to join.
- How did you hear about us?
- Does your student-athlete have a good quality mountain bike in proper working condition that is assembled by a professional? Does it have a minimum of 26″ tires (required to safely navigate the trails)?
- Which season would your student-athlete be interested in joining?
Want to learn more? Use the form below to contact the Team Director.